- June 9, 2021
- Posted by: LCBA Canada
The Ottawa Valley Railway as part of the Railway Association of Canada, has made it a priority to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, as well as NOX and particulate matter in our locomotives and engineering track equipment.
Ottawa Valley Railway is seeking solutions to reduce fossil fuel consumption which in turn will reduce GHG emissions. The fleet consists of eight General Motors GP38-2 locomotives and various on-track engineering equipment that also runs on diesel fuel. We expect that there will be separate solutions for the locomotives and on-track equipment. Like many other industries, the Canadian rail industry is looking for alternatives to reduce our carbon footprint as part of the Paris Accord.
- A technology or product capable of reducing and or complementing our current fuel demands. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Driver advisory & scheduling software
- Aerodynamic enhancements
- Sustainable fuels
- Diesel particulate filtering
- Engine conversion/optimization
- Reduce fuel and GHG emissions for on track engineering equipment
- Solutions should support existing locomotive horsepower for our EMD 645E engines
- Must be able to operate in cold climates
- Not inversely impact our reliability
- Have verified fuel and emission reductions
- Solutions with low upfront costs or aggressive ROI preferred
- Meet new potential customers in new markets.
- Potential to pitch your technology (if selected) to a business unit of one of 113 separate business units within Genesee and Wyoming Railway.
About Genesee & Wyoming and Ottawa Valley Railway:
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (G&W) is an American short line railroad holding company, that owns or maintains an interest in railroads in the United States, Canada, Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, and the United Kingdom. It operates more than 13,000 miles of owned and leased track. G&W’s UK/Europe Region includes the U.K.’s largest rail maritime intermodal operator and second largest freight rail provider, as well as regional rail services in Continental Europe.
The Ottawa Valley Railway (OVR) is one of G&W’s locally managed rail lines. OVR has 157 track-miles with a capacity of 286k between Sudbury and Mattawa and 268k between Mattawa and Temiscaming. OVR primarily carries chemical and forest production commodities. Our interchanges include: Canadian National (North Bay, Ontario); Canadian Pacific (Sudbury, Ontario); Ontario Northland Railway (North Bay, Ontario).